12.22.2011

Raffles Graduate Fashion Show 2011

The mysterious blue door aka entrance to the show
My college, as all design colleges should, invite friends, family and VIPs to witness the outstanding creations which their graduates have worked so hard to create and bring to life. The theme for my college's Graduate Fashion Show this year is "Couture on Ice", which is such a fitting theme for the times that we live in. It gave graduates an opportunity to express their stance on the global climate and the economic downturn.

The chaos brewing backstage before the show
The show was wonderful, the chili atmosphere enhanced by the snow storm effects and haunting music presented to the audience a dark perspective on what couture will turn into in the coming years. The collections were certainly inspired by some of the fashion industry's brooding characters, such as Alexander Wang, Gareth Pugh, Helmut Lang and Zara Gorman. But, there was one standout collection which definitely drew inspirations from the late and great Alexander McQueen's menswear collections, which I have a video of which you can view (below).


Myself, Kathleen and one of the models, Nina
I am very proud of my college's fashion design graduates, and with their creations I predict they will do very well in the fashion industry. Their couture collections screamed out "London Avant-Garde" to me, which I loved most about the collections in the show as a whole. I also forgot to mention, I cannot believe I was in the presence of both Akira Isogawa, and Ben Pollitt, the designer for Friedrich Gray and Chronicles of Never, who were at the show!

All images taken by me and K. Nguyen

No comments:

Post a Comment